The Ultimate Fighting Championship’s return to Australia promises to be filled with speed, power and unlimited action. The debut of the UFC’s flyweight division should add a positive new wrinkle to the organization, especially considering the little guys always put on great shows and action-packed fights.
The new flyweight class is also a good addition, because it allows smaller guys — that would normally be forced to fight at 145 — to compete at a more natural weight. Given that there are so many 145-pounders currently on the UFC roster sharing this problem, this move makes a lot of business sense.
But let’s be honest here, the best part about adding of a whole new weight class to the UFC is the fact that we’ll get to see some free fights! And in order to establish the 125-pound division, a champion must be crowned, of course — unlike what they did with Jose Aldo.
To do so, the UFC has decided to implement a 4-man tournament format with the last man standing being crowned the 125-pound champ. It’s worth noting that this will be the first ever tournament under the Zuffa banner. It’s going to be interesting to see how well Dana White and the Fertittas handle one of the original practices employed by the MMA organization.
The UFC flyweight tourney gets underway this upcoming Friday night with four bouts broadcasted live on FX. Competing in the first round of the UFC flyweight tournament will be some of the best in the world:
- (14-2-0) Demetrious Johnson [USA] vs. (11-2-0) Ian McCall [USA]
- (15-2-0) Joseph Benavidez [USA] vs. (19-4-6) Yasuhiro Urushitani [Japan]
UFC on FX 2 gets underway with “UFC: Alves vs Kampmann Prelims” on FUEL TV from 6-9 PM ET, followed by the UFC on FX 2 Main Card airing live from 9-11 PM ET UFC on FX 2. Allphones Arena in Sydney, Australia, will be the site for this exciting event. The Main Event will be one that could catapult one of these guys to earn a shot at interim UFC welterweight champion, Carlos Condit, as:
- (19-8-0) Thiago Alves [Brazil] vs. (18-5-0) Martin Kampmann [Denmark]
Of course, we cannot have an MMA event without the weigh-ins! Luckily for you, MMAIntel.com is the best place to catch the live stream of the official UFC on FX 2 Weigh-Ins beginning at 10 PM ET (9 PM CT/7 PM PT)! Check out the complete UFC on FX 2 Fight Card:
(Unaired) Heavyweight bout:
- Oli Thompson (England) vs. Shawn Jordan (USA)
UFC on FX 2 Live Preliminary Card (Fuel TV):
- Mackens Semerzier (USA) vs. Daniel Pineda (USA)
- TJ Waldburger (USA) vs. Jake Hecht (USA)
- Kyle Noke (Australia) vs. Andrew Craig (USA)
- Cole Miller (USA) vs. Steven Siler (USA)
Light Heavyweight bout:
- Anthony Perosh (Australia) vs. Nick Penner (Canada)
Light Heavyweight bout:
- James Te Huna (New Zealand) vs. Aaron Rosa (USA)
UFC on FX 2 Live Main Card:
- Court McGee (USA) vs. Constantinos Philippou (Cyprus)
- Demetrious Johnson (USA) vs. Ian McCall (USA)
- Joseph Benavidez (USA) vs. Yasuhiro Urushitani (Japan)
Welterweight bout (Main Event):
- Thiago Alves (Brazil) vs. Martin Kampmann (Denmark)